This weekend the LOST finale will air and it is a bittersweet moment. While there will be answers to be sure, the story will come to a close and like any good story a sadness looms because of the story’s finish.
This season came and went in a blur and there were so many good moments but it sure seemed that there just wasn't enough, they could have had double the episodes as far as I was concerned. Also as the series winds down, I am left with what could be best described as a little bit of a befuddled sense because I can’t quite make sense of the stories they chose to tell this season in light of what has been happening.
If you're a fan you might not have even noticed it so much but, one of the things I find amazing is how Carlton Cuse and Damon Lindeloff have pretty much scorched the earth. What I mean is they have made it impossible to ‘go back.’ There will be no 11th hour reprieves, no ‘after it’s done’ change of heart, this is it.
They’re taking all their toys and going home.
If you’ve noticed as we have marched to the finale the one thing that has been a constant (with apologies to Desmond) is death. They have killed character after character after character. They have made it impossible for any more story to be told as a result. This is it. After the finale, it’s over and a bigger hint about the remaining characters still alive is given in the title of the finale which is ‘Why They Died.’
Think about it...
Sayid, Jin and Sun two episodes ago.
Charles Widmore and Richard Alpert last episode (and Jacob too if you were paying attention).
No one gets out alive it seems from the LOST universe with one notable exception.
Walt.
Walt is the only character to survive the island at least that’s how it seems at the moment.
As I said, I’m a bit disappointed too because there has been a focus on characters and then they are so summarily dismissed, it makes one wonder why any airtime was given to an episode focusing on them to begin with. Last week Charles Widmore who was supposed to be such a huge force hanging over the lives of so many was just shot – shot by Ben. The question I was left with was after all this time why Ben simply didn’t kill him when he was in the man’s bedroom a few seasons back? Makes no sense.
Same thing goes for Richard too in a way. Although it appeared he was killed last episode, prior to that there was an inference he is immortal so, how does that really all work?
Yet, like everything the show is ending and I’ll be sorry to see it go but like everyone else I’m just looking for clues about where they’re going to take us. It has been an interesting ride.
I’ll be trying to throw up some other things about LOST before the series eventual finale in a few weeks and I wanted to note once again the beautiful image that graces this blog post.
I asked (and got) permission to use it and I want to make a tip of the hat to Matt Wieringo. There still are a bunch of really wonderful images up on Mike Wieringo’s blog and if you’re any kind of a Mike Wieringo fan I heartily suggest you take some time to go over and look through the blog to see a lot of great unpublished work. Also note there is a wonderful scholarship program that has been established in Mike Wieringo’s name at his alma-mater.

No comments:
Post a Comment